Saturday 5 April 2008

NLD targets undecided voters

Reporting by Naw Say Phaw
Democratic Voice of Burma

Apr 4, 2008 (DVB)–The National League for Democracy will target voters who are uninterested in the referendum or undecided and try to persuade them to vote “No”, a party spokesperson said.

NLD spokesperson U Nyan Win said the party hoped to convince people to make their votes count.

"The National League for Democracy and its supporters intend to convince people who are not interested in voting in the referendum to vote 'No',” he said.

“We consider speaking out and giving one's opinion is a courageous thing."

A resident of Pazundaung township, Rangoon, said he and his family would vote against the constitution.

"I have made up my mind. I will definitely go to one of those voting polls and put in a 'No' vote. My whole family is going to do that," he said.

But others are sceptical and see little point in voting in the referendum, despite being opposed to the new constitution.

One resident of Bohtataung, Rangoon, who said he was not interested in the referendum, is the sort of person the NLD hopes to convince.

"I have no interest in the referendum that is to be held in May, and I am not going to vote,” he said.

“But if I did, I'd put in a 'No' vote. This government has done nothing right in the past and that hasn’t changed now. If I vote 'Yes' to the referendum, that'll be like supporting them.”

Another Bohtataung resident said he did not believe his vote would change anything.

"Even if I vote 'No' in the referendum, the government is still going to do what they want. I am not voting on this one," he said.

The NLD issued a statement on 2 April calling on the people of Burma to vote against the draft constitution in the May referendum.

The party has also issued guidelines laying out its reasons for opposing the constitution and giving practical information on voting procedures.

No comments: